Queens Gazette

September 11, 2012

New York City Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association Endorses Assemblymember Grace Meng For Congress

PBA president Patrick Lynch called for the city to release NYPD 9/11 cancer statistics. Photo by Cynthia Magnus.

Assemblymember Grace Meng, the Democratic candidate for Congress in New York’s 6th district, today received the endorsement of the New York City Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association. On hand at today’s press conference in front of One Police Plaza were NYC PBA President Patrick J. Lynch and New York City Council Member and Chair of the Public Safety Committee Peter F. Vallone, Jr.

PBA President Patrick J. Lynch said: “Assemblywoman Grace Meng understands how important safe streets are to keeping neighborhoods vibrant and our city’s economy strong. She has supported legislation in Albany that would require the microstamping of ammunition that will not only help police to solve past crimes but also help to eliminate illegal guns from our city’s streets and that’s good for citizens and police officers alike. She will be a strong fighter in Washington to make sure we have all the federal resources we need to keep our city safe from threats originating both at home and abroad. The New York City Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, representing over 50,000 active and retired NYC police officers, is proud to endorse Assemblywoman Grace Meng for Congress this November.”

“As Public Safety Chair, I need Grace in Washington to help New York City get its fair share of anti-terror funding to continue to keep the city safe,” said Council Member Peter F. Vallone Jr.

Assemblywoman Meng stated: “As an elected official, nothing is more important to me than the safety of our communities. That is why I am so grateful to have the support of the NYC Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, an organization whose members put their lives on the line to ensure that our communities remain safe places to live, work and raise a family. I will continue to work tirelessly on behalf of them and their families to ensure that they have the support they need and deserve to protect and serve us all every day.”

Assemblywoman Meng has worked hard in recent years to foster partnerships between the New York Police Department and civilian patrols in order to deter crime and preserve the quality of life we enjoy in our neighborhoods. She has long been a leader in the State Legislature pushing for the passage of microstamping legislation, which would help catch more criminals and protect those who protect and serve us all. At a time when shootings are on the rise in our city and our officers are frequent targets, we must provide them with all the tools they need.

The NYC PBA has more than 3,400 active members assigned to Queens. Assemblywoman Meng, as the strongest advocate for public safety, continues to gain support from the law enforcement community. In addition to today’s endorsement from the PBA, Grace has now been endorsed by the National Troopers Coalition, the NYS Troopers PBA, the Asian Jade Society, the Korean American Officer’s Association and the Filipino American Law Enforcement Organization.