December 2, 2005

Outraged cops witness indictment of suspect


Hundreds of police officers filled the Brooklyn Criminal Courthouse Thursday, bearing outraged witness to Allan Cameron's indictment on charges of first-degree murder in the shooting of Officer Dillon Stewart and attempted second-degree murder in the robbery and shooting of off-duty Officer Wiener Philippe.

Cameron, 27, stood silently before Judge William Garnett, who unsealed the indictment handed up by a grand jury. He also faces charges of assault, criminal possession of a weapon and violation of probation.

Hours later, Cameron was apparently involved in a scuffle with guards who took him to Rikers Island, where he is being held without bail, and taken to Bellevue Hospital for several hours, according to published reports.

Correction Department spokesman Tom Antenen told local reporters Cameron's handcuffs were removed so he could pass through a metal detector and it was then the suspect allegedly shouted and pushed the guard in charge of his return.

Cameron was taken to the hospital after complaining of neck and back pain, but doctors found nothing wrong with the suspect, according to published reports. The incident was to be reviewed today.

Cameron is accused of shooting Stewart early Monday after the officer attempted to pull Cameron's car over for running a stop light on Flatbush Avenue. Stewart, 35, was wearing a bulletproof vest, but he was mortally wounded by a shot that hit him below the left armpit, in an area unprotected by the vest, and struck his heart.

After Stewart's death, Philippe, 26, picked Cameron out of a police lineup, identifying him as the man who robbed Philippe of jewelry and shot him on Nov. 19 in Crown Heights .

Thursday, cops packed the third-floor courtroom and the hallways outside, turning out in numbers even beyond that of Tuesday, when Cameron was arraigned and pleaded not guilty.

After the brief court appearance, a throng of clapping and cheering police and court officers assembled in the courthouse lobby, where Patrolmen's Benevolent Association President Patrick Lynch excoriated Cameron as a "skell" and a "cold-blooded killer."

"Who is responsible?" Lynch roared. "It is the mutt you saw standing there."

Reacting to a news report that Cameron talked to a journalist in jail and denied taking part in Stewart's shooting, Lynch said, "It is a disgraceful waste of our ink and time. We are talking about a criminal. ... This is a person who belongs behind bars."

If convicted of the top murder charge, Cameron faces a sentence of life in prison without parole.

His next court date was set for Jan. 26 in State Supreme Court in Brooklyn.