December 14, 2005

A quiet arraignment

Suspect in officer's shooting death says nothing but his name Lawyer enters 'not guilty' pleas to killing, attempted murder of other cop


The man accused of killing Police Officer Dillon Stewart spoke for the first time in court yesterday during his arraignment on murder charges: He stated his name.

"Allan Cameron," the tall, gangly defendant said in a low voice, only glancing up after court officers prodded him to stand and Brooklyn State Supreme Court Judge Neil Firetog told him to confirm his identity.

Through his attorney, Cameron, 27, pleaded not guilty to separate indictments charging he murdered Stewart Nov. 28 and wounded and had attempted to murder off-duty Officer Weiner Philippe on Nov. 19 during a robbery.

Dressed in a dark brown Department of Correction jumpsuit, Cameron remained with his hands and legs shackled for the five-minute court appearance. About 75 police officers and detectives, as well as officials from the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, filled the seats in the ceremonial courtroom at the State Supreme Court building at 320 Jay St.

Firetog set a schedule for motions to be filed in the case. Executive Assistant District Attorney Mark Hale told Firetog that he had turned over statements made by Cameron after his arrest to court-appointed defense attorney Edward Friedman. Hale didn't describe the contents of the statements made after Cameron was arrested.

No trial date has been set. The case is being assigned for trial to Judge Albert Tomei, said a spokesman for the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office. Officials said both indictments will be handled together for judicial economy, but that each will be tried separately.

After the arraignment, PBA President Patrick Lynch once again called on elected officials to toughen state gun laws and reinstate the death penalty.

"Two in two weeks; it is disgraceful," Lynch said, referring to the killing of Stewart, as well as the Saturday shooting death of Officer Daniel Enchautegui, who is to be buried today.

"Two in two weeks, enough is enough," Lynch said. "It is time to fix the problem. Enough with the talk."