New York Daily News

October 12, 2007

Killer convicted in death of cop Dillon Stewart



Convicted killer Allan Cameron.


Leslyn Stewart, widow of slain cop, at courthouse after verdict.


Brooklyn officer murdered in November 2005, Dillon Stewart.

The grieving widow of slain Brooklyn cop Dillon Stewart walked proudly past scores of police officers Thursday after a jury took just two hours to convict her husband's killer.

Stiffly saluting and clapping in rhythm, cops offered an emotional final tribute to their fallen 70th Precinct colleague as Leslyn Stewart strode down a courtroom hallway.

"Justice - I'm happy that the jury sent out the message of justice, loud and clear," Leslyn Stewart said. "[I'm] very, very happy. But at the same time very sad. Because of all we've had to deal with."

The jury spent one hour Wednesday and one hour yesterday deliberating the case against Allan Cameron, who gunned down Dillon Stewart after a car chase in Flatbush Nov. 28, 2005.

"I was thinking they couldn't come back any other way but guilty, and that is what they came back with," Leslyn Stewart said.

Cameron, 29, faces life in prison without parole when he is sentenced next month.

"It serves as a warning to those who would target police officers that justice will be done," said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.

Even the cop killer seemed to know he was facing sure conviction when the jury said it had reached a verdict so quickly.

He refused to enter the courtroom until lawyers persuaded his mother to leave - and he stood impassive as the jury foreman emphatically declared him guilty.

Leslyn Stewart stayed behind in the courtroom for nearly 30 minutes after the verdict, embracing her mother and her slain husband's mother.

"I'm so proud of him because he gave himself to save others," said Dillon Stewart's mother, Winifred Fleming, who brought him to New York from Jamaica as a child. "I feel his presence right now."

Police union chief Pat Lynch praised the jury but said the verdict brought back bittersweet emotions for every NYPD cop.

"There is a police officer that will no longer walk into that stationhouse," Lynch said. "There are children whose father will not walk up those steps of their home."

Cameron sped from cops after he ran a red light on Church Ave., then sprayed six bullets at Dillon Stewart and his partner as they chased him.

One of the bullets slipped under the officer's bulletproof vest and hit his heart.

Mortally wounded, the father of two still chased Cameron and helped his partner nab the killer.

Police later found a Glock 9-mm. handgun used in the murder. Cameron's girlfriend admitted hiding the weapon.

Cameron also was accused of shooting and wounding off-duty Police Officer Wiener Philippe in an ambush robbery on his Crown Heights, Brooklyn, street a week before the cop killing. He is awaiting trial in that case.

Cameron's defense lawyer branded the case a "fraud" and suggested Dillon Stewart was killed by friendly fire. He vowed to appeal.

Assistant District Attorney Mark Hale said the verdict reflected "an overwhelming case of guilt."