New York Daily News

November 9, 2007

Life sentence for cop Dillon Stewart's killer


Moved by a police widow's anguish, a Brooklyn judge Thursday sentenced her husband's killer to life in prison without any chance of parole.

Judge Albert Tomei ordered Allan Cameron behind bars for the rest of his days minutes after hearing Leslyn Stewart's gripping plea for justice.

"The killing was a senseless, irrational execution of a loving son, a husband, a public servant," Tomei said.

He condemned the gun-toting thug to spend "life in a soulless, loveless, compassionless environment."

Cameron, 29, was convicted of spraying six bullets at Officer Dillon Stewart after a wild car chase in Flatbush, Brooklyn, on Nov. 28, 2005. One of the bullets slipped under the officer's bulletproof vest and hit his heart.

Taking deep breaths to compose herself, Leslyn Stewart repeated the mantra, "I say, life without parole," time after time.

"I still mourn not only Dillon but what his legacy would have been," the widow said. "It is not how he died, but how he lived that made him a true hero."

The widow, who wore a black dress and black shawl, took dead aim at the remorseless Cameron, who shot Stewart after being cornered.

"God has brought us through this, together," she said.

"You can't hurt us anymore."

Stewart's mother also spoke.

She choked up on the witness stand and paused for nearly a minute as she addressed her slain son directly.

"I love you, son," said Winifred Fleming, who immigrated to New York with Stewart from Jamaica when he was a boy. "We will be together, in good time."

The cop's sister angrily lashed out at Cameron, calling him a "heartless coward" and declaring that she hoped he would "rot in jail."

Sheryl Campbell-Julien even took aim at Cameron's elderly mom, blaming her for raising a killer, even as she sat stoically in the courtroom.

"My brother's blood is on your hands as well," Campbell-Julien said.

When Cameron got a chance to speak, he defiantly proclaimed his innocence, even though police found the Glock 9-mm. weapon used in the shooting and his girlfriend admitted stashing it for Cameron.

"The only thing I'm guilty of, your honor, is being a young black man - and poor," he said.

After the sentencing, Leslyn Stewart walked down the courtroom corridor lined on both sides with Stewart's 70th Precinct colleagues.

Scores of cops clapped rhythmically in tribute to the slain hero, just as they did when the widow testified, and when the jury took just two hours to convict Cameron. "[Her] strength carries every New York City police officer who is riding these dangerous streets this very moment," said police union chief Patrick Lynch.