New York Daily News

February 28, 2014


Shot Cop Released From Hospital


Officer James Li

Wounded rookie Officer James Li was released from the hospital Friday, two days after he was shot by a fare-beater in Brooklyn.

Li, 26, left Kings County Hospital in a wheelchair shortly after 1 p.m., a teddy bear on his lap. Dozens of fellow officers were on hand to applaud him. Li jumped into a waiting black Impala with two family members at his side.

The hero cop was blasted three times in the legs in the parking lot of Crown Heights White Castle.

Accused shooter Rashun Robinson, 28, was spotted by Li and his partner, Officer Randy Chow, 30, boarding the B46 bus through the back door without paying at Utica Ave. and Empire Blvd. about 5 p.m. Wednesday.

When the cops tried to apprehend him, Robinson opened fire while running away, shooting at Li from just 10 feet away.

Li fired back five times but missed Robinson, who was quickly caught by other cops when he ran into a nearby apartment building, still carrying a .45-caliber Smith & Wesson handgun.

The two off-duty FDNY emergency medical technicians who sprang into action after witnessing the shooting were honored by Mayor de Blasio during a police promotion ceremony at police headquarters Friday.

“Before the on-duty EMTs were able to reach the scene, thank God these off-duty EMTs got there and immediately provided aid,” de Blasio said of Shaun Alexander and Khadijah Hall. “We all know care in those first minutes is so crucial.”

The two hero EMTs got a standing ovation.

“Their support of Officer Li was exemplary and part of why we know he will have a full recovery,” de Blasio said. “They were off duty but that did not stop them.”

Patrick Lynch, head of the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, presented the EMTs with a statuette of a cop and young boy.

"They are the embodiment of all that is good about New York City," Lynch said. "We will forever be grateful."

Robinson was arraigned Thursday night on charges including attempted murder of a police officer and is being held without bail.