New York Post
April 13, 2011



Budget cuts put NYPD's Baby Blues on hold

By JOHN DOYLE

State budget woes have forced the delay until July of the NYPD's new class of 540 cadets, two city lawmakers said yesterday.

The class, for which the City Council allocated funding in last year's budget, was originally slated to begin in January and had already been put off until April, according to Councilman Peter Vallone Jr., chairman of the Public Safety Committee. It will now be combined with the next class.

Vallone blames Albany for the budget shortfall and the new, last-minute delay.

"I believe you can't have economic recovery unless it's built upon the bedrock of a safe city," he said.

"We learned that lesson in the '90s and apparently we are forgetting it now," said Vallone, who along with Council Speaker Christine Quinn wrote a scathing letter to Mayor Bloomberg yesterday.

"The NYPD is already at dangerously low staffing levels with 6,000 fewer police officers on our streets than in 2001," said Patrolman's Benevolent Association President Patrick Lynch.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said: "In adjusting to the tough fiscal reality, the NYPD has still managed to reduce murder by 19 percent and overall crime by 3 percent so far this year." Since 2001, numbers in both categories have dropped by nearly 40 percent, he added.

john.doyle@nypost.com