Wall Street Journal

Dec. 11, 2015 4:12 p.m. ET

Queens Street Renamed for Fallen NYPD Officer Brian Moore

The 25-year-old officer, who died in May, was remembered by Police Commissioner William Bratton, family


Parents Irene and Raymond Moore of slain New York City police officer Brian Moore unveiled the new street sign Friday. 

Less than a block from the precinct station house where New York City Police Officer Brian Moore worked, a Queens street was renamed Friday for the officer killed in the line of duty earlier this year.

Officer Moore, 25 years old was remembered by more than a 100 uniformed NYPD officers, family and friends outside the 105th Precinct in Queens Village. The nearby intersection of 222nd Street and 92nd Road was officially renamed “Detective 1st Grade Brian Moore Way,” commemorating his posthumous promotion.

Irene Moore spoke at the street renaming ceremony for her son. 

New York City Police Commissioner William J. Bratton called Officer Moore a “cop’s cop” who came from a “proud police family” and loved his job.

”As every little boy and girl walks past this intersection in years ahead, looks up and sees that name and asks, ‘who was Brian Moore?’ the officers in this station for all time will give the answer: Brian Moore, protector, a guardian of the city, a hero of the city,” Mr. Bratton said.

Officer Moore, a five-year NYPD veteran, made 159 arrests in his career and received medals for Excellent Police Duty and Meritorious Police Duty. His father, retired NYPD Sgt. Raymond Moore, said his son’s dedication to the police force came from his desire to help people.

“But he went to work every day with one goal,” he said. “He used to tell me he’s going to work just to try to make the streets of New York a safer place for the people to live and to work. Trying to accomplish that he ended up losing his life.”

Officer Moore was shot and killed in Queens Village on May 2 while on plainclothes patrol.

When Officer Moore asked Demetrius Blackwell, 35, if he was carrying a weapon in his waistband, authorities said, the suspect fired three shots, hitting the officer twice in the head. He died two days later at Jamaica Hospital.

Mr. Blackwell, who had a criminal record that included five-year prison term for attempted murder, was charged with first-degree attempted murder and other charges. He pleaded not guilty, and his lawyer formally introduced plans to mount a defense based on his client’s mental health.

Irene Moore, the officer’s mother, said her son’s death was still painful but she hopes it will shed light on his case and others like it.

“If someone passes away so tragically and so violently they should be remembered,” she said. “As painful as it is, I’m glad that people will remember him.”

Police officers attended the street renaming ceremony.