Senior Rackets Investigator, Detective Investigators’ Bureau
OFFICE OF THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY
Darcel D. Clark - District Attorney
CIVIL SERVICE TITLE: Senior Rackets Investigator
TITLE CODE NO: 30831
HIRING RATE: $61,413
BUREAU/WORK UNIT: Detective Investigators’ Bureau
WORK LOCATION: 198 E 161st Street
Under supervision, with latitude for independent judgment and initiative, the Senior Investigator is responsible for conducting a wide variety of investigations. This is a sworn police officer position which requires an experienced candidate. The candidate must meet all qualifications to be certified, as a police officer, in the NYS DCJS Police registry. This position requires the successful completion of police academy training, in New York State, and requires the applicant to pass a mandatory background check to carry a firearm.
- Conduct thorough and professional investigations in a discreet manner as assigned
- Execute search warrants and effect arrests
- Participate in court ordered electronic eavesdropping
- Mentor and assist junior investigators when appropriate
- Continuing case management and review
- Provide on-going status updates to the D/C and Chief Detective Investigator.
- Ability to access and utilize various computer databases
Specific duties will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ability to liaison with other law enforcement agencies and government and financial institutions.
- Assist investigators and Assistant District Attorneys in preparation for court proceedings
- Testify before grand or petit juries regarding investigations
- Conduct complex and highly confidential investigations and relevant research
- Assist and mentor investigators in the use of electronic and technical equipment (e.g. Audio equipment, plate reader, lojack tracking device, mobile digital terminals, and surveillance photographic equipment)
- Prepare reports and maintains records of activities and investigations.
- Participate in protective details and locate, transport and protect witnesses
- Assist and mentor Rackets Investigators, suggest work methods; monitor progress and prepare and review reports Participate in extraditions and related travel
- Graduation from high school or its equivalent and three years of full-time, paid experience in police enforcement or investigative work, one year of which must have been in rackets or police investigative work
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1". However, all candidates are required to have one year of full-time, paid experience in rackets or police investigative work.
- Baccalaureate degree, from an accredited college is preferred.
- The ideal candidate must have a valid certificate of completion from a New York State Basic Course for Police Officers academy or must be eligible to attend and complete a Police Officer Refresher course.
- All applicants must possess a valid NY State driver’s license and be able to work evenings, weekends and holidays as necessary.
- Must pass a psychological and physical exam and a background check.
- Must be qualified to carry a Firearm
- Prior experience working within the New York City criminal justice system and/or experience as a police officer within the State of New York, is a plus.
- Extensive knowledge and investigative experience in one or more of the following areas is preferred: homicides, robberies and burglaries, major narcotics offenses, domestic violence, sex crimes, elder abuse, gangs, financial crimes, governmental fraud, traditional organized crime activity and the use of state of the art electronic investigative equipment
- As per NY Public Officers Law 2, §3-B, U.S. citizenship required.
Note: Due to the nature of the work performed and the needs of the agency, incumbents may be required to work nights, weekends and holidays.
To apply you must visit the BXDA Office website (www.bronxda.nyc.gov) and click on Career Opportunities.
POST DATE: 10/27/2019
POST UNTIL: Filled
The Office of the Bronx District Attorney is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Diversity and Inclusion