Senior Rackets Investigator
(Night Statement Room)
CIVIL SERVICE TITLE: Senior Rackets Investigator (Night Statement Room)
TITLE CODE NO: 30830
BUREAU/WORK UNIT: Detective Investigator’s Bureau
WORK LOCATION: 198 E 161st Street
HIRING RATE: TBD
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
JOB DESCRIPTION: Under supervision, with latitude for independent judgment and initiative, the Investigator is responsible for conducting a wide variety of criminal investigations. This is a sworn police officer position. The candidate must meet all qualifications to be certified as a police officer in the NYS DCJS registry. It is required that you successfully complete police academy training in New York State and pass a mandatory background check in order to carry a firearm.
- Escort prisoners to and from Video Statement room; debrief prisoners, and assists ADAs in obtaining video statements in a safe environment.
- Develop information, cultivate confidential informants and communicate intelligence.
- Investigate a variety of complaints and criminal activity; including but not limited to frauds, larceny, public corruption, narcotics, gang related crimes, elder and child abuse, organized crime, racketeering and provide pre-trial support and accurately report findings
- Perform undercover work and provide support to undercover operations
- Locate and interview complainants and witnesses
- Participate in search warrants and secure and preserve evidence
- Participate in court authorized electronic surveillance
- Utilize and maintain proficiency in law enforcement related equipment
- Testify in court relating to facts uncovered during investigations
- Prepare detailed written reports on interviews, activities and findings
- Perform related work and all other duties as assigned
- Perform prisoner transports and witness protection
- Effectuate arrests
- Insure the security and safety of agency employees and facility
Note: Due to the nature of the work performed and the needs of the agency, incumbents may be required to work nights, weekends and holidays.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS/PREFERRED SKILLS:
- A baccalaureate degree, from an accredited college or high school graduation and a minimum of two (2) years of full-time, paid experience in police enforcement or investigative work or a satisfactory equivalent
- Excellent computer skills and the ability to learn industry related databases is required
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Access
- Ability to follow directions and apply proper procedures, policies and guidelines.
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff and other law enforcement agencies
- Candidates must be able to pass an extensive background investigation and be able to successfully complete a New York State Certified Police Academy
- A valid New York State driver’s license with a minimum of two (2) years driving experience is mandatory
To apply you must visit the BXDA Office website (www.bronxda.nyc.gov) and click on Career Opportunities.