Wall Street Journal

Updated Nov. 4, 2016 5:22 p.m.

NYPD Officer Fatally Shot in the Bronx

Gun battle after chase also injured another veteran of the force


The shooting Friday of two police officers was in the Bronx’s Van Nest neighborhood. Police Commissioner James O’Neill said, ‘there’s nothing worse than a day like today.’ PHOTO: PETER J. SMITH FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

A New York Police Department officer was killed and his partner was wounded Friday in the Bronx in a gunbattle with a heavily armed suspect who was fatally shot, authorities said.

The two officers, both NYPD sergeants, were responding to a 911 call reporting a home invasion. When they arrived, they encountered the suspect, identified by police as Manuel Rosales, 35 years old, of Long Island.

During the gunbattle, Sgt. Paul Tuozzolo, 41, was shot in the head and later died. Sgt. Emmanuel Kwo, 30, was shot in the leg and was listed in stable condition at Jacobi Medical Center, police said.

Mayor Bill de Blasio and Police Commissioner James O’Neill broke the news of Sgt. Tuozzolo’s death to his family, including his wife and parents.

The officers shot were responding to a 911 call in the Bronx. PHOTO: PETER J. SMITH FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

“It is with great anguish that I have to tell you today that an NYPD sergeant was shot and killed while doing his job—trying to keep the people of this great city safe,” Mr. O’Neill said at a news conference at the hospital. “I always talk about what a great job this, but there’s nothing worse than a day like today.”

The last New York City police officer shot and killed in the line of duty was in October 2015, when Randolph Holder, a five-year veteran of the force, was fatally shot while pursuing a suspect in East Harlem.

Mr. de Blasio said Sgt. Tuozzolo was a 19-year veteran of the NYPD and the father of two young children, and called him “a very good man, a devoted man, a man who committed his life to protecting all of us.”

Mr. Rosales was the estranged husband of a 29-year-old woman who lives in the Bronx’s Van Nest neighborhood and had an order of protection against him, authorities said. The two have a 3-year-old son, police said.

According to a preliminary investigation, Mr. Rosales forced his way into the woman’s apartment and for about four hours held her hostage, along with their son, a 13-year-old child and a 50-year-old woman, authorities said.

The 50-year-old woman called 911 around 2:45 p.m., after Mr. Rosales left, notifying authorities that a man with a gun had broken into the apartment.

The information was sent out over police radio, and as nearby patrol cars were responding, the dispatcher broadcast that Mr. Rosales had fled the scene and was driving a red sport-utility vehicle, Mr. O’Neill said.

Seven minutes after the call, the SUV was spotted about a half-mile from the apartment, he said. Officers attempted to stop the vehicle, but Mr. Rosales drove away.

After a short chase, the police boxed it in, forcing it to stop, a law-enforcement official said.

As officers approached, Mr. Rosales began firing a .45 caliber semiautomatic handgun, Mr. O’Neill said. Officers returned fire, killing Mr. Rosales, he said.

The two sergeants were shot during the exchange, which occurred at close range.

Gary Mayo, a 58-year-old Bronx resident who lives near the scene of the shooting, said he heard about five or six gunshots.

“When I heard the shots, I knew they weren’t fireworks,” he said. “It’s sad. Why kill a cop? Because allegedly you were involved in a home invasion? It makes no sense. It’s horrible for the cop families.”

—Henrick Karoliszyn and Thomas MacMillan contributed to this article.

Write to Pervaiz Shallwani at pervaiz.shallwani@wsj.com